Sunday 14 September 2008

The Mirror - by Fay Wall

The mirror hangs above the fireplace
It's a bit too high to see my face
Then I don't want to stand and stare
That's not the reason the mirror's there

It reflects the light and
Makes the room nice and bright
But that's not the reasons the mirror's there

It's a focal point for all to see
It's clear and round, it means a lot to me
It's a bit of old, a bit of new
A story I would like to tell to you:

The frame you see isn't new
When my parents wed in '22
Their wedding picture was in there
The bride and groom without a care

A wedding gift, a rosewood frame
For Fred and Mary there's none the same

The picture hung upon the wall
In the parlour down the hall
The family grew, a happy crew
but laughed at the style of year '22

The bombs and the blitz caused disaster
The picture fell with all the plaster
The glass was broke, the picture damaged
To restore it we could not manage

So the mirror replaced the picture
My reflection I care to see
I have a mental picture
of Fred and Mary smiling at me.

No comments: