Sunday 22 March 2009

The moment when everything changed

I am pregnant at the age of 13 and I don't know how I'm going to break the news to my family. But I'm very excited because that will mean no school for me. I can feel the baby's heart beat - I think I must be 3 months pregnant.


The food doesn't taste the same anymore. Oh I can't stand being in the house when they are cooking. The onion smells terrible, even the bread that I used to love so much smells strange. I feel like throwing up. It is only early hours of the morning and I'm craving for ice, but it’s not the proper one - it is the soft fluffy one that grows on the side of the freezer wall. I know very well that it’s not good to eat this ice, but I’m just going to eat, to satisfy myself.


Now I am going outside thinking heavily ‘what is going to happen to me?’, to tell or not. No, I'm not going to tell anyone. I must leave town very quickly but before I do that, I have to have money to travel on the train. So what can I do?! Yeah! There is a shop that buys second hand clothing, and I can go and exchange my clothes for money. It’s only me and the house maid in the house, my sister is at school and elder one is at work. So, I'll cook some lies for the maid. Mmm, I don't want her to see me collecting some dresses, I'm going to tell her to go and pick some fresh vegetables from my brothers garden, it is about 20 minutes walk, to my brother's house, so that will give me at least more than 40 minutes to pack everything and disappear.


The bag is now full of some of my favourite colourful clothes. There is no need to worry about clothes right now, my life is already changed. I don't know how I'm going to raise my baby. The only person who’s going to know about my pregnancy is my sister who lives in the second capital, but I’m not the one who’s going to tell her: she will see my stomach growing.


by Christine

No comments: